Photo of the Week: Katrina Sunset


For this week's Photo of the Week (actually taken by my dad), I went into the archives again and found a picture of a beautiful sunset. But not just any sunset. This was the sunset the night before Hurricane Katrina's historic landfall on the Louisiana coast.

Hurricane Katrina made landfall on August 29, 2005 (when I was a sophomore in high school), bringing catastrophic damage to southeast Louisiana and southern Mississippi, and in particular, in the Greater New Orleans area. This photo was taken from Lafayette, Louisiana (my hometown). The effects in Lafayette were actually fairly minimal, but Lafayette would experience moderate impacts from Hurricane Rita about a month later.

I was already interested in weather around this time, but Katrina, along with the rest of the historic 2005 hurricane season, would help solidify my lifelong interest in meteorology.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colorado Fall 2020: Day 4 (Exploring Ouray)

Tropical Storm Barry Strengthening over Northern Gulf of Mexico

Colorado Fall 2020: Day 2 (Trinidad to Crested Butte)